Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A new start??

Financially, we are sinking hard. Bill hasn't worked since May. I am tired of asking for help. An option opened up this last week, and it looks like we are taking it, if a few things fall into place.

Bill's sister lives in Washington, in a small town off the Olympic Peninsula. She has offered us a place a few times, but Bill has always had a good job and we just didn't feelthe motivation to leave. Now we do. The Pros:

1. a really low crime rate and safe schools. I can't imagine not have racial/gang riots and the ensuing lock downs. Or the cops doing practice drills at the high school.

2. A fresh start is always an adventure, right??

3. The unemployment rate on the island is much less than here, and if you are willing to cross the bridge into town, it drops significantly.

4. The cost of living is less. Rent is cheaper, utilities are about the same. We'd use a lot more gas in the winter trying to keep the house warm, but it will balance out with the unnecessary cooling bills in the summer.


The cons:

1. Leaving my parents and Grandma. Grandma is 91. Really, how much time is left with her?? I will really miss her and fight with guilt. Heck, I already am.

2. I have been the Queen of the Hive for a long time. Nuff said.

3. Leaving Cory and Brittany. Brittany has already moved to Flagstaff, and I hope it really works out for them. If things don't work out for them, she will always have a home with us. Cory has finished with his program, and set to go into jobcorps, if he ever hears from them. I am thinking we will be sending him a bus ticket to join us later.

4. the Queen of the Hive thing.

5. Delilah and Jack. Jack is nine years old. He spends half his time at the ladies' house next door, so I may offer them food for a while, and see if they will keep him. I would like to take him, but I am terrified he will bolt halfway there on a potty break. Jack is also my BIL's name, and he may not be amused.I would rather adopt him out than lose him. Delilah has to go with us. She is a member of the family. So is the cat, of course, but dogs just seem to be so much more needy.

So, I finally resign myself to this, and a friend thinks he can get Bill a job making close to what he is used to making. If so, we stay, and try to get caught up. I told Bill he has 10 days to figure it all out and we make a definite decision. I hate not knowing.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

(((Pam)))

There's not much I can say, but I wanted you to know that I'm here for you if you need anything.

motherof8 said...

Pray, of course! but this already sounds like an answer to prayers.

Leaving Grandma is the hardest. I don't think she would want to hold you back, though!

God bless you.