Saturday, August 16, 2008

Girls Camp


I am so tired, but wow did I have fun. We left Tuesday and came back today at lunch time. In between was tons of fun intermingled with teen drama and mediocre food.


A few highlights:


My camp name is Sister Sappy. Nice, huh?? Not because I am too emotional, but because I stupidly leaned against a tree and got a ton of pine sap in my hair. It was a knotted, matted mess, and I was terrified to go to bed and make it worse, so we were actually on the hunt for scissors when my co cabin mom, Sue, came up with the solution. Bless her. Did you know orange pumice soap for mechanics greasy hands works great??


15 girls is way too many?? It took forever to count, and then do mental attendance to figure out who was missing. By thursday, I had a list in my pocket that I would pull out and check off. I knew I was in trouble when it took a while for me to figure out one day that i was missing my own daughter.


I grew up in the same ward (different times) as one of the other cabin moms. Come to find out, she grew up with a lot of people who were there. It became a huge joke and her camp name became Sister Six Degrees. The Six Degrees of Noryne M. It was hysterical. We want to get her a shirt that says "I grew up with her" and then have arrows pointing all over.


I took a box of Triscuits in case I was hungry and the meals weren't diabetic friendly. Glad I did. Anyway, on the back was a picture of a wine glass and the caption of how romantic Triscuits could be. Triscuit became our code word for missing our husbands. The leader's precocious 16 yr old daughter was in on the conversation, and I told her she could not have a Triscuit yet. But when she could, I would get her a box. LOL. She requested a Costco sized box. I had to admit that she won that round, but she ended up with the nickname of Triscuit. I am thinking the Bishop might not approve. Her mom, being the YW President, thought the whole thing funny.


Testimony meeting is always a beautiful experience for the girls. I love watching them get up and profess their love for each other and the Savior. Three out of our fifteen girls got up and bore their testimonies. One of them was Kailey. I was so touched to see her stand there in front of all those girls and say how happy she is to have the gospel in her life, and how much she loves the YW program. She also declared her love for the Lord while trying not to cry. I was in tears in the back with how beautiful she is and how proud of her I am. I tried reallly hard this week not to be her mom, just let her go and be with her friends. I let her come to me when she needed me. When it was over, we hugged. These moments are few and far between. I relish them.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Sounds like a wonderful time, Pam, or should I call you Sister Sappy? :o)

Pa(m)checo said...

LOL, if you want to.

motherof8 said...

Sister Sappy doesn't sound so bad once you explain it. Hooray for that orange soap!!

Thanks for sharing your camp experiences. I am sure I enjoyed them more that way than I would have in person. LOL.

Sounds like a good camp. Testimony meeting is always the part that reallys "makes" it, but I guess it takes the week of experiences to get there.

Good for you for serving the YW!